Care of Your Rental Saxophone
Congratulations on choosing the saxophone! We're excited for you to start on your musical journey! Here are some tips to help you take care of the saxophone. If you have any other questions or concerns, visit our shop and speak to a technician! We'll be happy to help you out.
- To properly pick up the instrument, insert the right hand into the bell and rotate the instrument out of the case. With the left hand, grasp the left side of the horn (the U-shaped portion, also known as the bow), and lift directly up. To continue assembly, place the bow of the sax into the molding where the bell sits.
- The neck should fit into the socket clean and dry, metal on metal; no lubrication should be used. If the fit seems too tight, bring to Tim's Music for service.
- Cork grease is necessary for proper assembly of the instrument, specifically placing the mouthpiece on the neck; however, it need not be applied with every assembly. Feel the cork with your fingers: if it feels dry, apply cork grease. If the cork does not feel dry, and the student has difficulty assembling the instrument, bring it in to Tim's Music for servicing.
- After each playing, the inside of the entire interior of the instrument needs to be swabbed out so that the moisture can be removed.
- To clean the outside of the instrument, use a clean, soft, dry cloth to remove fingerprints and other buildup. No liquid should be used as liquid can ruin the leather pads.